A quick update on the Starlink Beta — a LOT has happened!
Starlink Engineers hosted a Reddit AMA (ask me anything)
- Highlights Thread – LINK
- Full AMA Thread – LINK
- Mobile Internet Research Center provided their take – LINK
- Highlights that are of interest to (most) RV’ers:
- Mobile Use:
- Starlink Team is still working to provide coverage for Mobile users.
- Mobile use will be via different hardware.
- Unclear if the new hardware is just for ‘in-motion’ use / higher wind rating, or if it’s required simply to use it some place else.
- Data Caps:
- Starlink Team does not want to apply data caps.
- The only exception is if it’s required to ensure stable service for all / prevent a few data hogs from causing problems.
- Wider Beta, when?
- Late January, 2021 — But, based on above ‘Mobile Use’ update, probably best for most RV’ers / Boaters to wait for the Mobile hardware.
- Power consumption seems high! ( 100 watts during normal use )
- Starlink team is working to make the dish more power efficient, including a deeper ‘Sleep’ mode which still maintains data access.
- What’s the most misunderstood thing about Starlink?
- That we (Starlink Team) have it all figured out 🙂 We are super excited about the initial response and future potential of Starlink but we still have a ton to learn. If you know any great people who can help us with that, please have them email their resume to email@example.com.
- Mobile Use:
YouTube saw its first tear-down videos!
First, yours truly ( Michael ) took apart the Starlink WiFi Router!
Then, MikeOnSpace got into Dishy using a rotary tool!
But wait! Ken Keiter went fully destructive in his Dishy tear down!
There are now more Unboxing, Initial Setup, SpeedTest, and Gaming videos on YouTube than you can shake a network cable at. Seriously, just click one of those highlighted words to search, you’ll find them!
Starlink App Developers broke the app…
For me, Android app version 1.0.14 worked just fine ( well, as best I could tell not being in an area with service ). Android app version 1.0.15 and 1.0.16 don’t allow me to connect to the Dish. I’ve performed packet captures on the working, and non-working apps and provide details to Starlink. They acknowledged the bug and have been working on a fix which should be available in the next few days (they first said that 12’ish days ago, and 1.0.16 came out yesterday, still broken).
We re-located and re-tested…
To Las Vegas, NV — SURPRISE! — it doesn’t have service here either.. 🙁
Again, completely expected. Today, December 1st, 2020 — I was officially billed for my first month of service, about 2.5 weeks after the ‘Better than Nothing Beta’ kit was delivered. It appears that Starlink will work in lower latitudes ( above 30° North ) toward the end of January. That would include Las Vegas, NV and Rodeo, NM where my AstroShed is located. Sorry Florida… looks like most areas south of Jacksonville be waiting a bit longer.
Did I miss anything?
If so, please update / link in the comments below.